We all know the health benefits of fruits. Our mothers and grandmothers insisted on having them, while we as a kid were choosy about them. However, with hectic life we often miss out on our balanced diet and nutrition. From controlling blood sugar to blood pressure, here's how fruits, especially dried fruits can prove beneficial.
* Dried fruits generally contain more fiber than the same-size of their fresh counterparts. Fiber helps in keeping your digestive system running smoothly.
* The various dry fruits are packed naturally with a mix of nutritional elements like potassium, calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron, carotenoids, antioxidants, vitamins, dietary fiber, flavonoids, selenium and more apart from the good quality fat and protein that these provide.
* These help in various ways like increase of good cholesterol, reduction in bad cholesterol, maintaining blood pressure , blood sugar control, thyroid control, improving heart function, bowel movement, skin health, hair control, cancer-fighting properties, improving bone health, improved vision, easing digestion and fighting anaemia to name a few. Many of the dry fruits are low in glycemic index, and so, they help slow release of energy and control blood sugar.
* Because most of the water is extracted from fruits, their nutrients are condensed into a small package. Dried fruits like apricots, raisins, prunes and figs contain high amounts of beta carotene, vitamin E, niacin, iron, magnesium, potassium and calcium.
* Dried fruits contain little to no fat. They also contain significant calories per serving, making them a natural source of energy for athletes. They are also a good supplement for people seeking to gain weight in a healthy way.
(With IANS inputs)
For all latest news and updates, stay tuned to our Facebook page