Onam 2018 Wishes, Messages, WhatsApp Status, Images: Onam is one of the most important Hindu festivals of Kerala. Onam is celebrated in the month of Chingam according to the Malayalam calendar, which in Gregorian calendar overlaps with August–September. It is celebrated with great pomp and zeal by Malayalis across the globe. The festival which is celebrated for ten days is held in honour of generous king Mahabali, who led his state to the path of prosperity. The king never disappointed his subject and let anyone go empty-hand from his door. It is believed that the king's spirit pays a visit to his subject. It is a harvest festival, which also marks the Malayalam New Year. Onam celebration began on August 15 and will conclude today. Snake boat races (Vallam Kali), delicacies known as Onam Sadhya and get-togethers form an important part of the celebration. Tiger dances (Pulikali), flower decoration (Pookkalam), women's dance (Thumbi Thullal), mask dance (Kummattikali), martial arts (Onathallu), folk songs and dance (Atthachamayam) are also major attraction for tourists who visit the state during festivities of Onam. Men and women wear traditional attires during the festival.
Kerala celebrates Onam with much exuberance every year, however, this time flood has dampened the spirits. The state has suffered worst flood in the century causing loss to lives and property. Many are still stranded in relief camps waiting for floodwater to recede.
History of Onam
According to the legend, King Mahabali was disliked by all the Gods for his generous attitude, hence, they sought Lord Vishnu's help. However, Vishnu was initially reluctant to help as Mahabali was his devotee. The myth further states that after much persuasion, Vishnu took the Vaamana avatar (dwarf) and visited Mahabali's place asking him to fulfill three wishes. The dwarf asked Mahabli to give him the land that measured “three paces”. Suddenly, the dwarf grew in size and he covered the entire kingdom of Mahabali in just two steps. Mahabali then bowed down to allow Vishnu to place his foot over his head. Lord Vishnu was so impressed with Mahabali's devotion that he allowed him to return to his kingdom every year.
What is Onam Sadhya and what is the special dish of Onam?
In Malayalam, Sadhya means banquet. Onam Sadhya is a feast including traditional vegetarian dishes prepared by both men and women. The popular delicacies that form part of Sadhya are Kaaya varuthatha (banana chips), chena varuthatha (yam chips), sarkara upperi (Jaggery coated banana chips), mango pickle, lime pickle, puli inji (tamarind & ginger chutney), kichadi (Gourd in mildly spiced yoghurt), pachadi (Pineapple in yoghurt) among others.
Who is King Mahabali?
King Mahabali or Great Bali was a kind Asura King. He was the great grandson of Hiranyakashipu and grand son of Prahlada
What is the meaning of Pookalam?
Pookalam is the flower and colour decoration done on the floor to welcome King Mahabali. Pookalam is arranged across ten days of Onam festivities and there is a particular flower for each day.
Onam 2018 Images, Pictures, Wishes Images, Facebook Status, WhatsApp Messages
Onam 2018 Messages, Facebook Status, WhatsApp, Wishes
* May Lord Vamana bless you with a wonderful harvest of your deeds at all times and on this festive occasion, may you reap a wonderful harvest of the crop, relationship and happiness.
* Aishwaryavum, Samriddiyum …. Niranja nalla nalukal.. ennum undavatte oppam _manassil snehathinte oru …onam. HAPPY ONAM!
* Onam is the festival when we realise the colours of nature. We are blessed with a wonderful land and equally wonderful people. And you are special in my life. Thank you for being my friend. Happy Onam to you!
* May your life be decorated like Pookalam, sail in harmony like a snake boat, and provide you variety like the food at community luncheon
* Onam is not just a festival to cherish, but a moment to reincarnate a past of prosperity and goodness. Let us now hope for those days to come back again, those good old days! Wish you a happy and prosperous Onam!
* May this be an Onam with happiness and
prosperity. Let this be celebrated by every
Malayali, whoever and where ever they may be.
Happy Onam To All Of You!