An Indian politician, former model, television actress and producer, Smriti Irani is a well-known face in Indian politics. From serving as the HRD minister to minister of textile, Smriti Irani, at the age of 38, became the youngest minister Prime Minister in Narendra Modi's cabinet. Watch the video to know more about your neta.
Quick facts about Smriti Irani:
- Smriti Irani worked as a helper at a McDonald's outlet and even mopped floors as a part of her job, during her early days of struggle.
- After Class X, she apparently earned Rs 200 for promoting a beauty product.
- In 1998, she participated in the Femina Miss India beauty pageant for which she borrowed Rs 1 lakh from her father.
- Smriti Irani wanted to become a journalist but gave up on that dream after getting rejected in an interview.
- In 2001, she got married to business tycoon Zubin Irani.
- She has two children Zohr and Zoish and a stepdaughter Shanelle.
- Smriti Irani joined the Bharatiya Janata Party in 2003 and became the vice-president of the Maharashtra Youth Wing in 2004.
- In 2004, Smriti Irani underwent 'fast until death' campaign demanding the resignation of Narendra Modi from the Gujarat chief minister post.
- She also performed in a song with famous Punjabi singer Mika Singh.
- She got a big break in a daily soap produced by TV czarina Ekta Kapoor-- ‘Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi’ in mid-2000.
- She has also produced two TV shows -- 'Virrudh' and 'Thodi Si Zameen Thoda Sa Aasmaan' -- under her banner Ugraya Entertainment.
- During 2014 general election, Smriti wore orange saris in each of her rallies in keeping with the BJP's saffron.
- She is known for her excellent oratory skills and her speeches against Congress chief Rahul Gandhi often hit headlines.
- Smriti Irani is slated to take on Congress president Rahul Gandhi in his bastion -- Amethi -- in Lok Sabha polls 2019.