The Uttar Pradesh government, on June 6, said it will renovate old and dilapidated buildings of all secondary schools in the state. A decision to this effect was taken at a cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath.
Sharing details on the cabinet decision, Finance Minister Suresh Khanna said 75 percent of the renovation cost will be borne by the government and the remaining 25 percent by the school. Schools also have the liberty to use their corporate social responsibility (CSR) funds for meeting their share of the redevelopment cost. Money can also be arranged from MP's and MLA's funds for the ambitious project, he said.
A similar scheme was introduced last year as well, under which the government and the school management committee had to bear 50 percent each of the renovation cost, the minister said. However, as the old scheme saw lower participation from schools, amendments were made to increase the government’s share to 75 percent, he added.
Under the latest redevelopment scheme, which is also applicable to private schools, the government will begin with schools that are over 50 years old, followed by schools that are 40 years and 30 years old, the government said in a statement. Special attention will be paid to the construction of floors, roofs and separate toilets for girls, among other renovation works, the statement added.
Sharing details on other decisions taken in the cabinet meeting, Khanna said the government will step up the identification process for people staying in hotels. The decision was taken following complaints about hotels renting out rooms to customers without valid identity proofs, he added.
(With PTI Inputs)