The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has postponed class 12 and class 10 examinations scheduled to be held today in Punjab at the request of the state government in view of 'Bharat Bandh' called by several Dalit organisations against the alleged "dilution" of the SCs/STs (Prevention of Atrocities) Act.
Here are 10 things you need to know about the exam delay:
1. The CBSE has postponed today's exams for Class X and Class XII in Punjab.
2. In the rest of the country along with Union Territory Chandigarh, exams will be held as per schedule.
3. There is no report on delay or reschedule of any other exams for now.
4. The state government has also taken a decision to keep all schools shut for the day, the CBSE said referring to the letter of the state government.
5. The next date of the examinations in Punjab will be announced soon by the board.
6.The board has postponed the exams after it received a letter of request from the director general (school education) of the Punjab government to postpone all its examinations scheduled to be held today on account of apprehensions of law and order problems and other disturbances in the day during the 'Bharat Bandh'.
7.An official spokesperson of the Punjab government in Chandigarh said the public transport services across the state has been suspended in view of the bandh call.
8. The Supreme Court had on March 20 diluted the provisions of the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, in a bid to protect honest public servants discharging bona fide duties from being blackmailed with false cases under the Act.
9. The apex court said government servants should not be arrested without prior sanction and private citizens too should be arrested only after an inquiry under the law .
10. But Dalit organisations, including the Dalit Shoshan Mukti Manch, and some political parties fear the dilution of the provisions might lead to increase in violence against Dalits.
(With inputs from PTI)