Azim Premji has donned many hats with elan, elegance and efficiency. His company, Wipro, is an industry behemoth with diversified operations from manufacturing edible oil to creating top-notch IT solutions.
As he retires as the Executive Chairman of Wipro, here are 10 things you need to know about him
- Azim Premji is the second richest person in India. Infomation in public domain says that he net worth is USD 21.5 billion
- Azim Premji was born on July 24, 1945 in Mumbai (then Bombay)
- In 2013, he agreed to give away half his wealth to improve education in India
- Azim Premji took charge of Wipro when he was just 21-years old. This was necessitated by his father's death
- Premji diversified Wipro's operations. Wipro used to manufacture hydrogenated oil.
- The diversification saw Wipro entering into bakery products, soaps, lighting products etc
- Wipro entered the IT sector in 1980s. It started manufacturing minicomputers by collaborating with an American company.
- Azim Premji was called most generous Indian in the year 2015.
- In 2005, he was awarded Padma Bhushan.
- He was awarded Padma Vibhushan in 2011.