MIAMI (AP) — The Latest on the series of package bombs sent to media offices and prominent people seen as critical of President Donald Trump (all times local):
Atlanta police have reopened several streets as local and federal police probe a suspicious package found at a postal facility near the downtown area.
At noon Monday, a robot was being maneuvered outside the facility and about 100 feet (30 meters) from a row of U.S. mail trucks in the parking lot. An Atlanta Police Department bomb squad unit was parked at the entrance to the parking lot.
Federal agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the U.S. Postal Inspection Service were investigating on the street just outside the postal facility's parking lot.
The FBI has confirmed that the package recovered at the Atlanta facility was addressed to CNN.
The FBI has confirmed that a suspicious package recovered at a post office in Atlanta was addressed to CNN and was "similar in appearance to others."
The statement sent via the agency's Twitter account confirms the announcement earlier in the day by CNN President Jeff Zucker, who said a suspicious parcel being sent to the network had been intercepted at an Atlanta post office.
Zucker says all mail to CNN has been screened offsite since last week, when a series of package bombs began appearing around the country. One of those bombs was mailed to CNN offices in New York.
The latest suspicious package comes just hours before a federal court hearing was to begin in Miami for 56-year-old Cesar Sayoc, whom authorities accuse of sending explosive material to Democrats and other prominent critics of President Donald Trump.
The FBI says its bomb squad in Atlanta is responding to "a suspicious package" at the U.S. Postal Service in downtown Atlanta.
Spokesman Kevin Rowson said via email that the agency had been notified by the U.S. Postal Inspection Service of a suspicious package that arrived at 400 Pryor Street in downtown Atlanta, which is the address of a post office.
The FBI did not identify to whom the package was addressed. But earlier in the day, CNN President Jeff Zucker announced that a suspicious package addressed to the cable television network was intercepted Monday at an Atlanta post office.
Zucker said there was no imminent danger to the CNN Center.
CNN President Jeff Zucker says another suspicious package addressed to CNN was intercepted Monday at an Atlanta post office.
Zucker announced that there is no imminent danger to the CNN Center.
Atlanta Police have confirmed they responded to a suspicious package at a post office Monday morning.
He says all mail to CNN has been screened offsite since last week, when a series of package bombs began appearing around the country. One of those bombs was mailed to CNN offices in New York.
An initial hearing is set for Monday afternoon in Florida federal court for 56-year-old Cesar Sayoc, who faces five federal charges. Sayoc was arrested Friday in Florida after investigators said they linked him to the packages through fingerprint and DNA evidence.
The Florida man accused of sending packages containing explosive material to prominent Democrats and other opponents of President Donald Trump is due to make his first court appearance.
An initial hearing is set Monday afternoon in Florida federal court for 56-year-old Cesar Sayoc, who faces five federal charges. Sayoc was arrested Friday in Florida after investigators said they identified him through fingerprint and DNA evidence.
Sayoc is being prosecuted in New York, so his Florida hearing will likely be brief and process-oriented. The main issue will be whether he waives extradition to New York and whether he seeks release on bail.
Authorities say Sayoc faces more than 50 years in prison if convicted on all charges related to pipe bombs sent to political figures across the country.