Country will not yield to terrorism and extremism, says PM ModiThe nation is celebrating its 70th Independence Day today with patriotic fervor and gaiety. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will address the nation after unfurling the tricolour from the ramparts of Red Fort at 7.30 this morning.
The nation is celebrating its 70th Independence Day today with patriotic fervor and gaiety. Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the nation after unfurling the tricolour from the ramparts of Red Fort.
Addressing the nation after unfurling the National Flag from the ramparts of Red Fort this morning, Prime Minister Narendra Modi conveyed his greetings to 125 crore Indians and the Indian community living overseas and said government is surrounded with aspirations.
In his address, Modi emphasized on sensitivity and accountability in governance and called upon the countrymen to come forward with the commitment for ‘Surajya’.
“The meaning of Surajya is a qualitative and positive change in the lives of the citizen of India,” he said.
“The government is working very hard to bring social change and emphasised that responsible government works for everyone. Transparency is key for good governance,” the PM said.
Outlining his government's achievements, Modi said, “The government curbed inflation rates and will continue to work to ensure food plate of poor is not affected by inflation.”
Saying government faced problems due to drought, he, however, hailed farmers for increase in foodgrain production. “Sowing of pulses has increased 1.5 times this year and it will help solve problems of demand shortfall.”
* We did not get an opportunity to die for the country but we have the opportunity to live for the country: PM Modi
* There can't b a bigger freedom than freedom from poverty. I invite all SAARC countries to work together to fight this: PM Modi
* Government to bear up to Rs one lakh healthcare expenses annually for BPL families: PM Modi
* PM Modi announces 20 per cent increase in pension of freedom fighters
* PM targets Pak; says they glorify terrorists who attack us while India cried when children were killed in terror attack on Peshawar
* People of Balochistan,Gilgit and PoK have thanked me a lot in past few days, I am grateful to them. This is the example of our humanitarian approach, but there are some countries who glorify terrorists: PM Modi
* This country will never bow down before terrorism. To the youth who have taken up gun, I urge them to return to their parents, shun violence, says PM Modi
* More than 35000 jawans have lost their lives fighting at border so that we can stay peacefully here, how can we forget them? Therefore my Govt tried to resolve the long standing issue of OROP: PM Modi
* Great leaders like Mahatma Gandhi, Ambedkar ji have always stressed on the need for social unity. We have to fight against social evils. We have to rise above social evils. All citizens have to do this, else India can't progress. A strong society can only be built on social justice: PM Modi
* GST will give strength to our economy & all parties are to be thanked for its passage: PM Modi
* We have taken many steps for the welfare of women and girls. More than 3.5 crore families have taken benefit of the MUDRA scheme. We have instated a 26-week maternity leave for all pregnant women. Financial independence of women and her participation is important to fight poverty: PM Modi
* For us, image of the nation is more important than the image of the government. Amidst global economic slow-down, Indian economy is growing: PM Modi
* We all know about coal scam. However, we auctioned coal online, without any corruption charges levelled against us due to transparency: PM
* We are trying to revive 'post-offices' in the country which is becoming irrelevant increasingly due to advent of technology: PM Modi
* Our Govt is giving importance to 'last man delivery' by taking decisions decisively as our policies and intentions are clear: PM Modi
* When new Govt is elected, many-a-times, good initiatives taken by the previous Govt are forgotten. But we did not let this happen, we have taken forward the good initiatives taken by the previous Govt: PM Modi
* About 50 lakh free LPG connections released in 100 days; target of 5 cr connections can be achieved earlier than scheduled 3 yr: PM Modi
* 99.5% of past dues of sugarcane farmers have been cleared; 95% of sugarcane sold this season has been paid for to farmers: PM Modi
* I still need social support for 'Beti Bachao Beti Padhao': PM Modi
* I have tried to adopt the strategy of 'Reform, Perform and Transform'; tried to avoid populism: PM
* Food godowns with 15 lakh ton capacity built; emphasis on food processing: Aim is to help double farmers' income by 2022: PM Modi
* 90 shut irrigation schemes will be revived; 77,000 solar pumps distributed to bring down input cost of farmers: PM
* Sowing of pulses has increased 1.5 times this year, it will help solve problem of demand shortfall, says PM
* Emphasis on revival of 118 stuck projects worth Rs 7.5 lakh crore: PM Narendra Modi
* That's why my Govt has given importance to save water. We have given impetus to 'per drop, more crop' initiative: PM Modi
* How can we forget the bravery and sacrifice of the Sikh Gurus: PM Modi
* Under the previous Govt, inflation had crossed 10 %. We did not let it rise above 6%. I will continue to work to ensure food plate of poor is not affected by inflation: PM Modi
* Rs 20,000 cr saved through renegotiation of gas import deal with Qatar: PM Modi
* Due to drought situation in the last 2 years, Govt has faced challenges in terms of price rise: PM Modi
* We want to distribute 77 crore more LED bulbs. I urge you all to use LED bulbs, save energy and take part in helping our nation. Renewable energy is a focus area for our government. Save energy and take part in helping our nation and fight global warming: PM Modi
* Laying of power transmission lines increased to 50,000 kms in a year from 30,000-35,000-km earlier, says PM Modi
* From Delhi it takes 3 hours to reach nagla fatela village in Hathras, it took 70 years for electricity to reach there: PM Modi
* We have connected 70 crore Indians to Aadhaar and social security schemes. We are working to bring in social change, over 70,000 villages are free from open-defecation, today: PM Modi
* In last 60 years,14 crore were given LPG connections, while my Govt provided gas connections to over 4 crore people in just 60 weeks: PM Modi
* Construction of rural roads increased to 100 kms a day from 70-75 km a day: PM Modi
* There was a time when the govt was shrouded by allegations but now the govt is surrounded by expectations: PM Modi
* I want to change the lives of common people, I am committed to it: PM Modi
* There was a time when getting a passport was a tedious process and needed strong references. But we have changed this. Now one can avail passport in a week, have eased processes: PM Modi
* We want to change the situation where people are scared of income tax authorities, particularly among middle class families: PM Narendra Modi
* Earlier, 2000 rail tickets were booked online in a minute but today I am proud to say that in one minute 15000 rail tickets are booked: PM Modi
* Today, in all the major govt hospitals, online registration is available and medical records are also available online: PM Modi
* It is easy to keep account of the work done by the Govt, but it is difficult to have in-depth knowledge of those initiatives: PM Modi
* Yes, we face several problems. But we are capable to overcome them. Today, more than Karya, I want to talk about Karya Sanskriti on the Government: PM Modi
* Surajya, the meaning of this is a qualitative and positive change in the lives of the citizen of India. For this, one needs to give imp to good governance, accountability and transparency in any Govt is paramount: PM Narendra Modi
* Today our resolve is to turn the Swaraj (Self-Rule) into Surajya (Good rule). This the commitment that we have to go ahead with. From the Parliament to panchayats, gram pradhans to the Prime Minister, everyone has to fulfill their responsibility. Only then will the dream of surajya come true: PM Narendra Modi
* India's age is not 70 years, but the journey post colonial rule for a better India is 70-year old: PM Modi
* Today on the 70th Independence Day, I convey my greetings to 125 crore Indians & the Indian community living overseas. We remember Mahatma Gandhi, Sardar Patel, Pandit Nehru, many others who sacrificed their lives so that we attained Swarajya: PM Modi at Red Fort
* PM Narendra Modi unfurls the tricolour at Red Fort
* Prime Minister Narendra Modi inspects the guard of honour at Red Fort
Several events were organized in the run up to the Independence Day. The Prime Minister flagged off the Tiranga Yatra on 9th August from the birth place of the freedom fighter Chandrashekhar Azad in Madhya Pradesh. The Yatra is aimed at invoking the patriotic fervor among the people from all walks of life holding aloft the Tricolour.
A week long Bharat Parv has been organized at the Rajpath Lawns in New Delhi by the Ministry of Culture. The Information and Broadcasting Ministry has put on display a photo exhibition titled “Azadi 70 Saal- Yaad Karo Kurbani”. All important monuments in the country have been illuminated in Tricolour.