Major fire engulfs garment factory in Bhiwandi, around 350 people rescuedThane: A major fire broke out at a factory-cum-residential complex in Bhiwandi town of Thane district today morning. Police said that at least 80 people are feared trapped and efforts are on to rescue them
Thane: A major fire broke out at a four-storey factory-cum-residential complex in Bhiwandi town of Thane district today morning.
Firefighters said that they rescued around 350 people from the building.
According to police, all people trapped inside are safe and the fire has been brought under control.
According to an eyewitness, the fire started in first floor of the building, which later spreads to the upper floors. Another eyewitness said that powerloom materials stored in the basement fuelled the flames.
The city fire brigade has sent 9-10 fire tenders, ambulances to fight the conflagration which started around 7 am in the building located in the Kazipura area of the town.
Police said that short-circuit was suspected to be the cause of the blaze, adding that the exact cause of the fire was yet to be ascertained.