Woman complains severe stomach cramps, CT scan images reveals piece of wire inside her small intestine!The 30-year-old Australian woman swallowed a 7-cm long dental brace wire 10 years ago
Doctors at an Australia hospital were left befuddled when a 30-year-old woman came complaining about intense stomach pain. Although, stomach cramps are pretty relatable but her case was vastly different than what happens usually. The doctors did a CT scan on her only to realize that the pain in question was arising from a piece of wire in the woman’s small intestine. Now the question arises here is how the metallic wire ended up in her stomach. After a detailed examination, the doctors found out another sordid fact.
The 7-cm long wire came from the woman’s childhood braces! The braces have been removed a decade ago, how did it end up there? It’s been at least a decade. The woman doesn’t remember swallowing her braced at the time of removal but she eventually felt its presence. She was discharged during her first visit but the next time she arrived with even more pain. The piece of wire left inside her body was puncturing her small intestine. This condition is known as volvulus.
Dr. Talia Shepherd, one of the woman’s physician told that this condition is extremely rare. She said, “The chances of swallowing a wire from your braces is very low. There might be a higher chance if you're sedated and undergo a dental procedure. But this is a very unusual case."
More commonly, people usually ingest things like fish bones, but metallic objects like braces are too rare a happening. Even if someone does, they would have realised it shortly. But this woman was totally unaware about its presence inside her body for almost a decade.
Last May, Live Science published a bizarre list of 11 Weird Things People Have Swallowed. The objects they swallowed included most unexpected things like a bobby pin and a dental instrument. It also had larger objects like cellphone, pen, lighter and a toothbrush. Only the almighty knows how these things ended up inside their body.
In 2015, a case from Saudi Arabia had its own share of bizarre happenings. A 16-months-old boy’s oesophagus X-ray showed a smiling ‘SpongeBob SquarePants’ in it. The toddler has swallowed his sister’s SpongeBob pendant. The X-ray images showed the cartoon character clearly with its most prominent details including freckles, shoes and fingers.
Last May, a Texas woman warned other parents after her daughter swallowed a fidget spinner!