Federer, 31, dropped the first set before surging back in the second to crush the 13th seed in the decider for a 4-6, 7-6(4), 6-0 win Thursday.
This success marks another milestone in the career of the Swiss maestro, guaranteeing him a 300th week at the top of ATP rankings, an all-time record.
The next opponent of Federer will be Marin Cilic, who eliminated Spain's Fernando Verdasco in three sets.
The Croatian 10th seed also had to recover from a set down and secured a 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 victory.
Elsewhere, sixth seed Janko Tipsarevic was stunned by world No. 21 Tommy Haas 2-6, 1-6.
The German veteran will now face another Serbian star Novak Djokovic in the quarters.
From Our Network
- ‘Shame On Censor Board’ trends as ‘Udta Punjab’ gets ‘grounded’ for excessive swearing
- Controversial leaked images of Southern actresses
- Telugu Cinema witnesses turmoil as fans of film stars abuse each other on Internet
- Aamir- Kajol’s 'Fanaa' clocks 10 years, director Kunal Kohli gets nostalgic
- Abhishek Bachchan’s ‘witty’ congratulatory message for Aishwarya will make you laugh