Acapulco, Mexico, Mar 1 : Two-time champion Nicolas Almagro of Spain defeated Benoit Paire of France 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 to reach the third round of the Mexican Open on Wednesday.
The second-seeded Spaniard lost serve twice to drop the first set, but settled and took control of the match to win in it in more than two hours at The Fairmont Acapulco Princess.
The 99th-ranked Benoit saved 10 break points against Almagro, who two weeks ago won the Brazil Open.
Almagro won the Mexican Open in 2008 and 2009. In 2011, he was runner-up to David Ferrer, the top seed this year.Almagro's next opponent will be compatriot Fernando Verdasco, who defeated Juan Ignacio Chela of Argentina 6-4, 6-2.
No. 5 seed Florian Mayer of Germany lost 6-4, 5-7, 4-6 to Pablo Andujar of Spain, whose likely third-round opponent will be Ferrer.
The No. 7 seed Marcel Granollers of Spain fell 4-6, 3-6 to Santiago Giraldo of Colombia. Giraldo will next face wither Carlos Berlocq or Potito Starace.
In the women's tournament, top seed Roberta Vinci of Italy beat Stephanie Foretz Gacon of France 7-5, 6-4 in the second round. She will next face either Alberta Brianti or Michaella Krajicek.
The No. 4-seeded Irina-Camelia Begu of Romania ousted Anna Tatishvili of Georgia 6-3, 6-1, setting up a third-round clash with either Magdalena Rybarikova or local wildcard Ximena Hermoso.
Qualifier Mariana Duque-Marino of Colombia got past sixth seed Johanna Larsson of Sweden 4-6, 6-1, 6-3, and will next meet either another Swede in Sofia Arvidsson or No.2 seed Flavia Pennetta.
From Our Network
- Shot 8 times, Transgender in Pakistan dies as hospital sits on her treatment deciding sex
- Watch: Here’s the incident when Arijit Singh miffed Salman Khan
- Revealed: This woman is the reason behind Salman Khan and Sanjay Dutt’s cold war
- ‘Queen’ of ‘Lies’? Not only age, Kangana Ranaut lied about getting Rs 11 crore for Rangoon too?
- Salman Khan NOT to remove Arijit Singh’s song from ‘Sultan’!