A host of former Brazilian world cup winners showcased their skills as they turned out in an exhibition match at the Salt Lake stadium here Saturday.
Brazilian masters, comprising players of the Latin American nation's teams which lifted the world cup titles in the 1994 and 2002 editions of the World Cup, prevailed over IFA XI 3-1 before around 30,000 spectators.
Dunga, Bebeto, Juninho Paulista, Zinho, and Mario Silva along with their compatriots donned the famed Brazilian national team's yellow-green jersey while Colombian ex-goalkeeper Rene Higuita played for the local side which included number of former India internationals like Manas Bhattacharya, Bidesh Bose and Gautam Sarkar.
Beto, Bebeto and Dunga struck for the Masters, while Biswas pulled one back for IFA XI.
The winners, who dominated, took the lead in the 10th minute as Beto headed home.
Quarter of an hour into the game, Beto doubled the lead with a rasping shot, before Dunga sent a power-packed volley in five minutes into the second session of the 70-minute encounter. Biswas reduced the margin in the 62nd minute woth a deft left footer after outwitting Brazilians Aldair and Edmilson.
Many of the spectators came to the stadium with their faces painted in Brazilian team colours and carrying flags of the South American nation.
Kolkata, the soccer crazy city of cricket mad India, is known for its love for Brazilian samba football.
For the locals, Higuita, who took his place under the bar, showcased his signature tune scorpion kicks as he delighted with a couple of fine saves.
From Our Network
- Alastair Cook on the verge of breaking Sachin Tendulkar’s 11-year old record!
- How Anjali fell for a 17 year old Sachin Tendulkar! (watch video)
- Leicester City wins EPL title for first time in 132-year history
- Spectators sing the birthday tune for Virat Kohli in Mohali
- IPL 2016: KKR take on Pune, eye third consecutive win
- Good-bye speculations: Salman Khan is finally getting married by end of this year
- Chris Gayle accepts Delhi girl’s proposal for a date, on one condition!
- She still got the moves: Aishwarya dancing on Dola Re, Dhoom Machale will make you go WOW!
- Manoj Bajpayee to promote his forthcoming 'Traffic' on 'Savdhaan India'
- AgustaWestland Scam: We may do what we could not do in Bofors, says Manohar Parrikar