Ford Assembly election results 2017 Akamai CP Plus
India Vs Sri Lanka 2017
  1. You Are At:
  2. Home
  3. Sports News
  4. Soccer News
  5. Barcelona acknowledge interest in Philippe Coutinho and Ousmane Dembele

Barcelona acknowledge interest in Philippe Coutinho and Ousmane Dembele

Barcelona are trying to reinvest the 222 million euros ($262 million) they received from Paris Saint-Germain when the French club signed Brazil striker Neymar.

Reported by: AP , New Delhi [ Published on: August 18, 2017 11:33 IST ]
Philippe Coutinho
A file image of Liverpool playmaker Philippe Coutinho.Photo:GETTY IMAGES

Barcelona are still after Liverpool playmaker Philippe Coutinho and Borussia Dortmund forward Ousmane Dembele.

Coutinho put in a transfer request last week, but Liverpool have said that he is not for sale after rejecting two offers for the Brazil international from Barcelona.

Dembele has been fined and suspended from team training by Dortmund, and is reportedly refused all contact with the club since Barcelona made a bid reported to be worth 105 million euros ($124 million), including add-ons.

"I recognize that they are two players that we really want to come, but their clubs are the ones who have to decide if we can make these signings," Barcelona sporting director Robert Fernandez said Thursday.

Barcelona are trying to reinvest the 222 million euros ($262 million) they received from Paris Saint-Germain when the French club signed Brazil striker Neymar.

Liverpool's American owners are not wavering in their stance on Coutinho, who has become an integral player for the Premier League team.

"Nothing new," Liverpool manager Juergen Klopp said Thursday. "Nobody told me anything different."

Coutinho will not be in the squad for Liverpool's league match against Crystal Palace on Saturday, with the club saying he has a back injury.

So far, Barcelona have been limited to convincing Chinese club Guangzhou Evergrande to part with Brazil midfielder Paulinho for 40 million euros ($47 million).

The 29-year-old Paulinho signed a four-year contract on Thursday, three days before Barcelona open the Spanish league season against Real Betis.

Paulinho was considered a disappointment when he played for English club Tottenham for two seasons before moving to Guangzhou in 2015. He said at his presentation at Camp Nou that he had recovered his confidence in China.

"My first season in Tottenham was very good. In the second I couldn't play consistently," Paulinho said. "Perhaps it wasn't my best season. Things didn't go as I would have liked. But that is the past. I accepted the challenge of playing in China and I won back both my desire and confidence there."

Paulinho will be tasked with strengthening a Barcelona midfield that took a step back last season, a decline that stopped them from defending their Spanish league title.

Promoted Content