India had suffered a humiliating 0-4 series whitewash when they had visited England in July-August last year and would like to avenge the defeat on the back of its spinners in favourable home conditions.
England have not won a Test series in India in nearly 28 years and reversing the trend would a tough job for the world number two team.
They have been handicapped by the leg-injury to their 6-foot 7-inch fast bowler Steven Finn, who could trouble the Indian batsmen with his steep bounce even on the slow pitches.
Finn had little cricket under his belt since landing on the country's shores as he picked up a thigh muscle strain on the first day of their tour opening game in Mumbai.
Indian paceman Ishant Sharma is down with viral fever but he was not in the running for a place in the playing eleven ahead of Zaheer Khan and Umesh Yadav, who are likely to open the new ball attack for the home side.
Ashok Dinda has been called up as late cover for Sharma but would warm the bench barring a last-minute injury to Zaheer or Yadav.
India's main weapon would be the spin trio of Pragyan Ojha, Ravichandran Ashwin and veteran Harbhajan Singh, who has been included in the side after a gap of more than a year.
Off-spinner Ashwin and left-arm spinner Ojha have played only a handful of Tests in their budding careers but have proved that they could bowl well in tandem in helpful home conditions.
Ashwin had grabbed the man of the series awards in the last two home series - against the West Indies last year and New Zealand this August. Ojha had complemented him nicely.
From Our Network
- Ayaz Promised He Wouldn't Speed, Says Azhar's Friend Jwala Gutta
- Watch: 'You're not happy India won', captain cool Dhoni fumes at journalist
- IPL 8: Glenn Maxwell has disappointed himself: George Bailey
- Sachin Tendulkar prays for flood victims, says Chennai is fighting back
- Ahmed Shehzad acted like Afridi's servant: Former PCB chief
- Why doesn’t farmers’ suicide trouble you as much as Pratyusha’s, asks Nana Patekar
- 'Find Your Beautiful': Radhika Apte explains real meaning of beauty
- Actor Harshvardhan Rane finds it challenging to romance three heroines in 'Maaya'
- Shah Rukh Khan is really impressed with his 'Raees' co-stars
- Kapil Sharma returns tonight: 5 reasons that make the first episode special