The 31-year-old Australian captain scored 230 in the first innings, his fourth double century of the year, which has earned him 33 ratings points and has helped him leapfrog Kumar Sangakkara of Sri Lanka and South African duo Hashim Amla and Jacques Kallis into the number one position.
This is the third time Clarke has moved to the top of the table. He first achieved the number one ranking in August 2009 and then again surged to the top earlier this year in March-April.
Unfortunately, both the times his stay at the top has been brief — a possibility, which still exists as he leads Sangakkara by a slender 10 ratings point margin.
If Sangakkara manages to turn around the first innings failure into a strong performance in the second innings of the ongoing second Test against New Zealand in Colombo, he has a good chance to reclaim the coveted spot, which he snatched from Shivnarine Chanderpaul in July.
From Our Network
- Tanmay Bhat’s ‘controversial’ video finally has a reaction from Lata Mangeshkar herself!
- 11 important facts you should know about Ravana
- 7 hottest avatars of Surveen Chawla, Hate Story 2 actress
- Gorilla killed after 4-yr-old falls into zoo enclosure
- What? Karan Patel cheated on Kamya Punjabi with Pratyusha Banerjee?