"I have been honoured to hold that record (highest IPL individual score) and far more delighted that some body as destructive as Chris (Gayle) has now taken over," said McCullum at the team hotel here.
Gayle pulverised Pune Warriors attack Tuesday to score 175 not out in just 66 balls with 17 sixes and 13 boundaries. Reaching triple figure in just 30 balls, the Jamaican also scored the fastest century in cricket history.
The previous highest individual score in the IPL was by McCullum who had scored an unbeaten 158 in the opening game of the inaugural edition of the IPL in 2008.
"I was following Chris' innings on the bus while coming back from practice. It's an unbelievable inning. He is the most powerful batsman in T20 and deserves that record," said the explosive Kiwi.
"I knew all along that it would be broken and that it had to be Chris," said McCullum.
From Our Network
- Modi to address rally in Saharanpur, BJP plans mega celebrations
- Not Anushka Sharma but this Bollywood actress was Virat Kohli’s first love interest!
- ‘Queen’ of ‘Lies’? Not only age, Kangana Ranaut lied about getting Rs 11 crore for Rangoon too?
- Aishwarya has something to say about her and Salman’s romantic film ‘Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam’
- A.R. Rahman to Arjit Singh: Salman Khan’s bad blood with musicians is not new. Here’s proof