New Delhi: Charles Bannerman became the first player to achieve this when he scored 165 not out against England during the first ever Test match, at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in March 1877.
For India, 12 players have scored a century in their debut match. Shikhar Dhawan became the 13th Indian to do so on Saturday (March 16), and that too the highest.
Unlike the 12 batsmen before him, Dhawan etched his name in the record books by scoring three figures in 85 balls, thus becoming the fastest debut centurion of all time, as well as becoming India's most successful batsman on Test debut.
Here we bring the 12 players who scored a century on their Test debut for India:
From Our Network
- 'Junooniyat' is entirely different from 'Sanam Re', says Yami Gautam
- Bipasha Basu speaks up on being Karan Singh Grover’s ‘third wife’ and his past
- Huge solar storms helped foster life on Earth, says NASA
- 10 Times Rakhi Sawant Blew Our Mind With Her Epic Statements
- 2nd anniversary celebrations: Govt ropes in Amitabh Bachchan to host five-hour event at India Gate on May 28