New Delhi: Charles Bannerman became the first player to achieve this when he scored 165 not out against England during the first ever Test match, at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in March 1877.
For India, 12 players have scored a century in their debut match. Shikhar Dhawan became the 13th Indian to do so on Saturday (March 16), and that too the highest.
Unlike the 12 batsmen before him, Dhawan etched his name in the record books by scoring three figures in 85 balls, thus becoming the fastest debut centurion of all time, as well as becoming India's most successful batsman on Test debut.
Here we bring the 12 players who scored a century on their Test debut for India:
From Our Network
- IPL: 7 hottest female anchors
- Happy Birthday Sachin Tendulkar | Top 20 facts that you didn't know about Master Blaster
- IPL 2016: Delhi Daredevils soar to second with close win over Mumbai Indians
- Olympic not a place for film promotion: Yogeshwar Dutt on Salman's appointment as ambassador
- Watch: 'You're not happy India won', captain cool Dhoni fumes at journalist
- Kapil Sharma vs Bajirao Mastani: Who won the battle of TRP’s last Saturday?
- Best Boyfriend Ever: Virat Kohli is making special plans to amaze Anushka on her birthday!
- Decoded: How Anant Ambani lost 108 kg in 18 months (Watch Video)
- US: Drunk Indian-origin lady doctor fired after video of her attacking Uber driver goes viral
- This never seen pic of Hrithik and Kangana is proof that Duggu had relations with Queen