With Australia eyeing a series win against the West Indies during the three Tests, starting in Bridgetown on April 7, India's current position is under threat.
While a series win will put Australia ahead of India in third position, a 3-0 series win will put Australia on equal points with England on 113 ratings points (if England lose 2-0 to Sri Lanka).
And when the ratings are calculated beyond the decimal point, then Australia will be placed above England in second position as it will have a rating of 113.10 against England's rating of 113.045.
England, meanwhile, find themselves in a must-win situation in the Colombo Test if they have to retain the number one position.
England's victory will keep them ahead of South Africa by a fraction of a point but their failure to win the Test will make South Africa as the new ranked side.
If England lose the series 2-0, they will drop from 118 ratings points to 113 ratings points - three points behind South Africa - while a 1-0 defeat will mean they will slip to 114 ratings points.
Meanwhile, South Africa's AB de Villiers has reached the numero uno batting position for the first time in his career where he has been joined by Australia captain Michael Clarke in the rankings.
In ICC Player Rankings for Test bowlers, South African Vernon Philander is continuing his climb up the chart. The fast bowler had figures of four for 70 and six for 44 in Hamilton and six for 81 and none for 29 in Wellington.
Philander has gained 148 ratings points, which has not only given him a career-best rating of 764 but also led to a jump of 11 places that puts him in a career-best fifth position.
In Test all-rounders' list, Bangladesh's Shakib Al Hasan is in the No. 1 spot.
From Our Network
- More Indian athletes in Rio Olympics than in 2012, tally at 86 and growing
- Chris Gayle's Sixer Breaks Girl's Nose In Bangalore
- IPL 2016: Major setback for KXIP as Shaun Marsh ruled out due to injury
- Leicester City wins EPL title for first time in 132-year history
- Pak all-rounder Abdul Razzaq blames former coach Waqar for team’s downfall
- My name is Malaika Arora and I am not a ‘KHAN’: Arbaaz’s wife keen on dropping her surname
- Keenan-Reuben case: All 4 convicts awarded life imprisonment till death
- IRCTC website hacked, personal data of over 1 crore customers stolen
- Australia's most wanted ISIS recruiter 'killed in airstrike'
- Did Daddy David stop Varun Dhawan from living-in with girlfriend Natasha?