“If the BJP has such a strong case, why don't they debate the subject in Parliament,” he said, reacting to BJP leader Arun Jaitley's criticism of the government and his assertion that his party is in no mood to allow Parliament to function till its demand for Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's resignation is met.
Jaitley told a press conference in Delhi today that a nationwide debate is on on the coal block issue though it is not taking place in Parliament. “Our strategy does not permit that we allow the government to use Parliament to end this debate without any accountability. We want the debate to go on further,” he had said.
Chidambaram asked “That is what I would like to ask them. Why debate the issue on television. Why not in Parliament. Why doesn't he (Jaitley) raise the issue in Parliament.”
He also wanted to know whether the BJP was prepared for a debate on the coal block allocations made during the BJP-led NDA regime between 1998 and 2004.
Proceedings in both the Houses were paralysed for the entire week on the coal block allocation with BJP and other NDA members engaged in disruption. BJP has also threatened continued paralysis of Parliament in the week ahead.
Replying to Jaitley's criticism of his ‘no loss' theory in regard to the coal block allocations, the minister said there is a potential gain when coal is mined and sold.
“Where is the presumptive loss or gain when mining has not not taken place,” he countered.
From Our Network
- After photoshop fiasco, TMC in soup as BJP, Left threatens legal action
- If US, Iran can end hostilities, why not India, Pak: Mehbooba Mufti
- Arvind Kejriwal, Mamata Banerjee meet in Delhi ahead of Bihar polls
- Uttarakhand crisis: Nainital HC allows Speaker’s counsel to argue today in disqualification case
- BJP manipulated EVMs in Gujarat civic polls, says Congress
- Why doesn’t farmers’ suicide trouble you as much as Pratyusha’s, asks Nana Patekar
- 'Find Your Beautiful': Radhika Apte explains real meaning of beauty
- Actor Harshvardhan Rane finds it challenging to romance three heroines in 'Maaya'
- Shah Rukh Khan is really impressed with his 'Raees' co-stars
- Kapil Sharma returns tonight: 5 reasons that make the first episode special