She knew terror was always lurking around the corner. She had two kids to look after alone. Hence, she was initially reluctant towards joining politics. But the deteriorating political fortunes of Congress party made her take the responsibility of party president on her shoulders.
She became an epitome of womanhood by taking care of her household all by herself. She became an essence of leadership by controlling the party which had ruled India for decades.
Sonia Gandhi became the president of Congress party in 1998. Ever since then she worked to reinvent the Congress party.
She completed her 15 successful years as the president of Congress this week. Here we give you a glance at her journey of these 15 years through pictures.
From Our Network
- Liver transported through green corridor travels 210 km in 3.36 hours, saves life
- PM Modi no longer the same lion that used to roar in April 2014: Congress
- Sourav Ganguly was disrespectful, says Ravi Shastri
- Former Home Secretary GK Pillai knew of changes in Ishrat affidavit, says one-man inquiry panel
- IIT-Kanpur professor Sanjay Mittal bags G D Birla award for scientific research