”The Trinamool in its election manifesto during the 2011 elections asked for FDI in the state. Now they are opposing it. I just want to say that it's their decision of not allowing retail FDI in Bengal, but who has given them the right to create road blocks for other states which want retail FDI,” said state Congress president Pradip Bhattacharya.
Miffed over the twin “anti-people decisions” of diesel price hike and FDI in retail, Trinamool Congress supremo and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Tuesday announced that the Trinamool Congress was withdrawing support to the UPA government
Bhattacharya claimed that allowing FDI in retail would benefit both the farmers and the consumers as both the sections will get the price.
”Trinamool in its manifesto has protested against middlemen who buy vegetables from farmers at a low price and sell them in the markets at a much higher price. Retail FDI would ensure that farmers get a good price for their crops and the common people get vegetables at a reasonable price,” he said.
The Congress leader also noted that Banerjee during her years in the opposition had repeatedly sought that the then Left regime slash state taxes on petro products.
”During Trinamool's years in the opposition they used to claim that state government imposes the highest amount of taxes on the oil prices. They used to demand that those taxes should be slashed. So now that they are in power, what are they doing, why aren't they repealing those taxes?”
”We still expect that Trinamool Congress and its ministers will reconsider their decision. But it is of no use the way they are using the tactics of blaming the central government for each and every thing,” said Bhattacharya.
From Our Network
- Is Kejriwal a heroine that I would force a hug on him, asks Lalu Yadav
- Skill India: Top 6 quotes of PM Modi
- Major change in ‘Pak policy’? Govt says no problem in Hurriyat talking to Islamabad
- Play active role for village development, use Centre’s resources: PM Modi
- Kuldeep Bishnoi confirms HJC’s merger with Congress, formal announcement tomorrow
- Learn to dry-clean your clothes at home!
- Watch: Sushmita Sen gives ‘wonderful’ speech at daughter’s Annual Day function
- Karan Johar, Rishi Kapoor launch online casting portal
- Wahoo! Aamir Khan’s buys new bike containing metal of aircraft 'INS Vikrant'
- Pakistan has one month's time to grab US F16 deal