Rajnath Singh and incumbent Nitin Gadkari arrived at the party office in the same car for a meeting of the party's parliamentary board, after which he filed his nomination.
Earlier, Rajnath Singh met party leader L.K. Advani.
Rajnath Singh was chosen for the BJP president's post after several senior leaders objected over giving a second term to Gadkari, who is facing corruption charges.
Gadkari also made an announcement Tuesday evening saying he will not seek a second term as he wanted his name cleared of the corruption charges.
The BJP president has traditionally been elected unopposed.
Rajnath's Singh's name emerged after a series of meetings involving party leaders Arun Jaitley, Venkaiah Naidu, Ram Lal and Ananth Kumar.
From Our Network
- When Khans don’t why does Akshay Kumar act in slapstick comedy like ‘Housefull 3’? The Khiladi answers
- Misplaced anger over Arjun Tendulkar’s selection over record-breaking Pranav for West Zone U-16 side?
- Grocery shopping, book reading and more: What Nawabi couple Saif and Kareena did in London (See pics)
- Watch: Wanted in India, Vijay Mallya enjoys IPL final in London
- Watch: After RCB lose IPL final, Gayle grooves to Michael Jackson’s tune