The decision was taken by the party's parliamentary board which met here Sunday.
Modi relinquished the position and proposed Rajnath Singh's name.
Bharatiya Janata Party general secretary Ananth Kumar later told reporters that Rajnath Singh's name was accepted unanimously by all the parliamentary board members.
Party sources said that the decision was expected as Modi could not have run his own campaign.
They said that the sub-committees under the campaign committee were headed by senior leaders and it was expected that Rajnath Singh will be appointed to head the panel.
Modi was declared prime ministerial candidate after protracted discussions in the party Sep 13. BJP patriarch L.K. Advani had not attended the parliamentary board meeting that decided Modi's elevation.
The Gujarat chief minister was declared chief of party's campaign committee for 2014 Lok Sabha polls in June this year.
From Our Network
- Arijit Singh’s fears come true, his song in Salman Khan’s ‘Sultan’ dropped and here’s proof
- Delhi: 8-yr-old rape victim pretended to be dead to escape her rapist
- Robert Vadra's golden words "Are You Serious" turn him into Twitter joke!
- Hafiz Saeed slams China after President Xi Jingping asks his people to shun Islam
- Students seeking sugar daddies for tuition, rent