"The president speech cannot be a glossary list of government plans. It neither reflects the state of the country, nor the mood of the nation," Bharatiya Janata Party leader Ravi Shankar Prasad said.
"The biggest surprise is that the one-hour speech contained even the names of government plans, which are not important," he said.
The BJP said there was no mention of corruption or inflation in the speech, which were two of the biggest issues facing the country.
"There was no mention of corruption, or government strategy to contain it. That was very important, because a new scam comes up each day," Prasad said.
"There was also no mention of the government's policy on inflation," he said.
The BJP leader said the main opposition party had "profound respect" for the office of president and incumbent President Mukherjee, but the speech was prepared by the government and so the pafrty felt free to criticise it.
From Our Network
- Epic! Kareena Kapoor cracks ‘high-end’ joke on ex-flame Shahid Kapoor
- Hafiz Saeed slams China after President Xi Jingping asks his people to shun Islam
- IPL trophy will go right on top, along with World Cup wins: Yuvraj Singh
- Eye on UP polls: Amit Shah to have meal with dalit family in Varanasi
- Is Bollywood losing its charm? Just one film crossed the Rs 100 cr mark in 2016