"The passing away of Balasaheb will be deeply felt by his family and followers. The interests of Maharashtra were particularly important for him and he always strived to inculcate a sense of pride in the people of the state," said the prime minister after Thackeray, 86, passed away Saturday due to health complications.
"He founded the Shiv Sena and built the party into a formidable force in the state politics with his strong leadership and extraordinary organisational skills. He was a consummate communicator whose stature in the politics of Maharashtra was unique," said the prime minister, according to an official statement.
From Our Network
- Google tax to start from June 1: Here's everything you need to know
- Bipasha Basu’s sisters cried because of Karan Singh Grover at their wedding. Know why!
- Is Kangana’s legal battle with Hrithik Roshan impacting her career?
- No early age to start: Seven year old Chennai girl publishes her first book
- IPL: 8 hottest female anchors