“It is the right of a member of Parliament to be on a Committee, whatever may be charges or allegations. The members are not nominated by their party,” party spokesman P C Chacko told reporters.
Chacko, who heads the Privileges Committee of the Lok Sabha, said every MP is entitled to be on a Committee and he “cannot be denied that privilege”.
Asked whether Congress could tell controversial members like Kalmadi not to accept a Parliamentary Committee membership, he said, “I don't think that the party can do like that. It is a privilege.”
He said members tell their choices for Parliamentary Committees and as per that they are made members. Raja, who represents DMK in the Lok Sabha, has been nominated to the Standing Committee on Energy.
Kalmadi, Congress member of the Lok Sabha, has been nominated to the Standing Committee on External Affairs. Parliamentary Standing Committees are considered mini-Parliament as they closely scrutinise bills and give suggestions on the proposed legislations.
Raja, who was arrested in connection with the 2G scam on February 2 last year, is on bail since May 15 this year. Kalmadi also spent about nine months in jail before being released on bail on January 19 this year.
DMK MP Kanimozhi, who was also accused in some cases related to the 2G spectrum allocation, has been nominated to the Standing Committee on Home Affairs.
From Our Network
- Rajya Sabha Chairman accepts Vijay Mallya's fresh resignation
- Shiv Sena's alliance with BJP for Hindutva, not power: Uddhav Thackeray
- Maha: Row over CM relief fund used for dance troupe's Bangkok visit
- Paswan to sit on dharna tomorrow in support of toddy sellers
- Second, short affidavit was to ‘dispel misinterpretation’, Chidambaram says on Ishrat Jahan controversy
- IPL: 8 hottest female anchors
- Laughing Buddha: Which one to use and where to place?
- The Kapil Sharma Show Vs Colors: Humour wins over historical saga of Bajirao-Mastani; features among Top 5 shows
- Rakhi Special: 5 Bollywood songs depicting brother-sister bond
- Raees Vs Kabil: Rakesh Roshan REACTS to Hrithik-SRK’s box-office clash!