"It seems that there is no urgency or seriousness in tackling economic crises facing the country. There has been a virtual lack of direction in the macroeconomic management of the country," Modi said at the 57th National Development Council (NDC) meting here. Copies of the speech were circulated at the venue.
Attacking the government for lowering the growth target for the 12th Plan, Modi said though the target of 9 per cent GDP growth, talked about last year, appeared ambitious, "it was not impossible to achieve if we had the political will to do what is necessary".
"In this context, it is painful to note the unmistakable sense of pessimism in the 12th Plan document...Significantly lowering the growth targets of the 12th Plan will further add to the mood of despondency and pessimism in the country and cast increasing doubts on the sustainability of the India Growth Story," he said.
Modi sought to project the Gujarat model of development by listing out the initiatives taken by him in various sectors including agriculture, urban development and decentralised planning.
Modi, who was sworn-in as chief minister for the fourth time yesterday, was greeted by several leaders including Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
Modi walked up to Himachal Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh to greet him on assumption of office on Tuesday.
From Our Network
- Kerala polls: Can Sreesanth create history by becoming the first BJP MLA in the state?
- Shiv Sena's alliance with BJP for Hindutva, not power: Uddhav Thackeray
- Major change in ‘Pak policy’? Govt says no problem in Hurriyat talking to Islamabad
- Maha: Row over CM relief fund used for dance troupe's Bangkok visit
- Met LG not for withdrawal of cases against AAP leaders: Satyendra Jain
- IPL: 8 hottest female anchors
- Gambhir, Kohli fined for IPL Code of Conduct breach
- Nawazuddin’s amazing journey: From sharing flat with five to buying posh apartment in Mumbai
- In Pics: Priyanka Chopra dines with Barack Obama and Michelle Obama at White House
- When Lata Mangeshkar & Asha Bhosle turned foes from sisters!