The legislator was released from district jail in Adilabad, about 300 km from here, at 5 p.m. after his lawyers completed all formalities of the bail granted him Friday.
Courts in Adilabad and Nizamabad had Friday granted conditional bail to the Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) leader.
As per the condition laid down by Adilabad court, he had to surrender his passport to the concerned court in Nirmal town. Party leaders said the other paper work also took time.
Hundreds of MIM workers greeted Owaisi as he stepped out of jail, supported by his close aides. He appeared weak and was having difficulty in walking due to ill-health. His lawyers in both the court had sought bail on health grounds.
The young leader got into his bullet-proof vehicle and left for Hyderabad along with other MIM legislators and party leaders.
MIM supporters had gathered outside the jail since morning. Holding party flags and raising slogans, they waited for their leader.
The celebrations continued in MIM camp in Hyderabad and other districts. Party activists were reaching MIM headquarters in Hyderabad in large numbers to celebrate Owaisi's release.
A member of the assembly from Chandrayangutta in Hyderabad, Owaisi is facing charges of sedition, waging war against the nation and promoting enmity between people. He is the younger brother of MIM chief and MP Asaduddin Owaisi.
Akbar was arrested on Jan 8 in a hate speech case booked against him in Nirmal town on Jan 3. A separate case was booked in Nizamabad.
He had delivered the controversial speeches at public meetings in Nizamabad and Nirmal on Dec 8 and 22, respectively. Police took action after the speeches went viral over social networking sites and some people lodged complaints with police and courts.
The MIM leader, who was away in London, returned here Jan 7 and was arrested by police the next day.
His voice was recorded in both the courts and sent for forensic examination as he claimed that the voice in the footage was not his.
From Our Network
- After photoshop fiasco, TMC in soup as BJP, Left threatens legal action
- If US, Iran can end hostilities, why not India, Pak: Mehbooba Mufti
- Arvind Kejriwal, Mamata Banerjee meet in Delhi ahead of Bihar polls
- BJP manipulated EVMs in Gujarat civic polls, says Congress
- Uttarakhand crisis: Nainital HC allows Speaker’s counsel to argue today in disqualification case
- Why doesn’t farmers’ suicide trouble you as much as Pratyusha’s, asks Nana Patekar
- 'Find Your Beautiful': Radhika Apte explains real meaning of beauty
- Actor Harshvardhan Rane finds it challenging to romance three heroines in 'Maaya'
- Shah Rukh Khan is really impressed with his 'Raees' co-stars
- Kapil Sharma returns tonight: 5 reasons that make the first episode special