Deployment of security personnel for Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh assembly elections was discussed threadbare at a high-level meeting between the Election Commission and the Home Ministry here.
“We will provide the required number of forces to the EC for deployment in Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh Assembly elections,” a Home Ministry official said.
Around 9,000 personnel from paramilitary forces and 14,000 from the state police are likely to be deployed for Himachal Pradesh elections which are expected to be held in a single phase.
The 182-member Gujarat assembly and 68-member Himachal Pradesh assembly polls are likely to be held in October-November. The terms of the current assemblies of Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh end on January 17 and 10 respectively.
The official said the Home Ministry may make available to Election Commission some of the central forces a few weeks before the actual polling dates in Gujarat considering the sensitivity involved in several hundred polling stations.
Fearing use of money power in Gujarat, the Commission is also engaged in identifying the number of “expenditure sensitive” constituencies in the state.
From Our Network
- Narasimha Rao's 'pro-Hindu mindset' led to Babri demolition: Mani Shankar Aiyar
- Before ‘Meri Pyaari Bindu’, Parineeti Chopra will hit silver screen with this movie
- Priyanka Chopra speaks up on working in Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s ‘Padmavati’
- Venkaiah Naidu lashes out at Air India after his flight is delayed, AI orders probe
- Former Home Secretary GK Pillai knew of changes in Ishrat affidavit, says one-man inquiry panel