Deployment of security personnel for Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh assembly elections was discussed threadbare at a high-level meeting between the Election Commission and the Home Ministry here.
“We will provide the required number of forces to the EC for deployment in Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh Assembly elections,” a Home Ministry official said.
Around 9,000 personnel from paramilitary forces and 14,000 from the state police are likely to be deployed for Himachal Pradesh elections which are expected to be held in a single phase.
The 182-member Gujarat assembly and 68-member Himachal Pradesh assembly polls are likely to be held in October-November. The terms of the current assemblies of Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh end on January 17 and 10 respectively.
The official said the Home Ministry may make available to Election Commission some of the central forces a few weeks before the actual polling dates in Gujarat considering the sensitivity involved in several hundred polling stations.
Fearing use of money power in Gujarat, the Commission is also engaged in identifying the number of “expenditure sensitive” constituencies in the state.
From Our Network
- AAP founder member quits party, alleges Kejriwal indulges in community based politics
- Amma's poll manifesto: From Free phones to free gold, it's raining sops in Tamil Nadu
- By 2026, 33% Lok Sabha MPs will come from Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, West Bengal
- CBI summons ousted Uttarakhand CM Harish Rawat in sting operation case
- India does not support any one political group in Nepal: Ambassador Ranjit Rae
- Sonia, Rahul, Manmohan released after brief detention by Delhi Police
- Modi govt cracks whip on non-performing babus, 33 tax officers shown the door
- ‘It’s time to Move On!’, says Kangana Ranaut on Hrithik, Adhyayan controversies
- What lies behind student unrest in NIT Srinagar? Here is all you need to know!
- Allan Donald quits as South Africa bowling coach