"Making of toilets and having faith in a religious place of worship are two different things. India is a multicultural country where we should have unblemished faith in a temple, a mosque, a gurudwara or a church. You cannot juxtapose the two," BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy said.
He alleged Ramesh has made a political statement here and advised him to instead concentrate "salvaging the battered image of the UPA government".
BJP maintained that one should not get into the debate of what — a temple or a toilet — is more important.
"While (public) toilets, which have to be built by the administration, are necessary, religion is important as people have faith in it. It would be good for Mr Ramesh that out of his exuberance he stops making such comments which will destroy the fine fabric of religion and faith," Rudy said.
On the same line, Congress appeared to disapprove of rural development minister Jairam Ramesh for his comment that there are more temples in the country than toilets, saying "we respect the sanctity of every religious place".
"We respect the sanctity of every religious place irrespective of the community it belongs to. I do not know the statement attributed to Ramesh. Perhaps it could have been distorted and he is in the best position to explain."
"Congress party believes in sarvadharmasambhav. Equal respect for all religions. Equal respect for all religious places", party spokesman Manish Tewari told reporters.
From Our Network
- Panama Papers leak pits PM Nawaz Sharif against both Pakistan Army and Imran Khan
- PM Modi, Amit Shah ordered staged shootout in Ishrat Jahan case, says Congress
- Play active role for village development, use Centre’s resources: PM Modi
- Vijay Mallya to be expelled from Rajya Sabha, concludes Parliament Panel
- Met LG not for withdrawal of cases against AAP leaders: Satyendra Jain
- Kapil Sharma vs Bajirao Mastani: Who won the battle of TRP’s last Saturday?
- Shocking! Prince stayed awake for '154 hours' straight before his death
- This is YRF’s master plan to save sinking ship of Shah Rukh Khan’s FAN
- Decoded: How Anant Ambani lost 108 kg in 18 months (Watch Video)
- This never seen pic of Hrithik and Kangana is proof that Duggu had relations with Queen