“Gadkari is also a swayamsewak (RSS worker) whose dharma (principle) is to protect the interest of the country first and then protect the interest of the organisation. So I am sure being a Swayamsewak, as per the conscience, he will take the best step in the overall interest of the country and the organisation,” Shettigar said.
He maintained that timely action on Gadkari's part is crucial. The leader maintained that public perception is important and Mr. Gadkari should step down till the process of investigations is completed.
Shettigar cited the example of BJP leader L.K.Advani who had stepped down when allegations were levelled against him in the Hawala case. He had also announced that he will not contest any elections.
He refused to speak on the clean chit given to Gadkari by RSS ideologue S Gurumurthy, saying he had not studied his report. However, he said there should be an internal mechanism to identify whether a person is involved in corruption.
“If what has been reported is correct, then I think it is not as per what you call the norms of SEBI or other institutions,” Shettigar said.
Before Shettigar, BJP Rajya Sabha MP Ram Jethmalani and his son Mahesh had said Gadkari should immediately step down from his post as the charges against him were damaging the party. He claimed to have the support of other party leaders like Jaswant Singh, Yashwant Sinha and Shatrughan Sinha.
From Our Network
- Not CM candidate, Rahul Gandhi to lead party across the country: Congress
- LDF in Kerala, TMC in Bengal; AIADMK, BJP in TN, Assam: Poll
- Major change in ‘Pak policy’? Govt says no problem in Hurriyat talking to Islamabad
- Play active role for village development, use Centre’s resources: PM Modi
- Kuldeep Bishnoi confirms HJC’s merger with Congress, formal announcement tomorrow
- Learn to dry-clean your clothes at home!
- After Jennifer Winget, Karan Singh Grover’s first wife Shraddha Nigam speaks up on his wedding with Bipasha Basu
- 11 important facts you should know about Ravana
- Brutal rape of Dalit law student in Kerala resonates in Rajya Sabha
- Forget Anushka, Virat spends special moments with 'the most beautiful woman in the world' (see pic)