The Congress Legislature Party (CLP) has also demanded Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik's resignation, Congress chief whip Prasad Harichandan said.
“We are contemplating to bring a no-confidence motion against the state government for its failure in tackling the Maoist menace in the state,” he said adding that the CLP also favours imposition of President's Rule in the state after resignation of the CM.
Accusing the BJD government of trying to evade discussion on the MLA abduction issue by adjourning the House till Monday without conducting any business, Congress MLAs refused to leave the Assembly in protest.
“We will continue to be inside the House even as the Speaker adjourned it till Monday. Congress members wanted a discussion on the protection of MLAs which is not allowed,” said leader of opposition Bhupinder Singh of Congress.
Alleging that the Speaker deliberately allowed Patnaik to make a statement on the MLA's abduction while accepting an adjournment notice on the same subject, Singh said the opposition was never allowed to raise any issue during the question hour.
When the House assembled for the day, opposition members stormed the well and raised anti-government slogans while some of them climbed the Speaker's dais and broke the mike in front of him. The House was first adjourned till 12.30 pm due to noisy scenes.
Subsequently the House was adjourned till 3 pm and finally till Monday though there was no uproar.
“The Speaker adjourned the House without any noise from the opposition. We fail to understand as to why the House was adjourned for the day at 3 pm,” Singh said adding Congress MLAs would remain inside the House till Monday.
BJP supported Independent MLA Pratap Sarangi also criticised the government for adjourning the house for the day without holding a discussion on the protection and security of the members of the Assembly.
Ruling BJD MLAs, on the other hand, sat on a dharna in front of Mahatma Gandhi statue inside the Assembly premises seeking immediate release of abducted Laxmipur MLA Jhina Hikaka.
From Our Network
- After photoshop fiasco, TMC in soup as BJP, Left threatens legal action
- If US, Iran can end hostilities, why not India, Pak: Mehbooba Mufti
- Arvind Kejriwal, Mamata Banerjee meet in Delhi ahead of Bihar polls
- Uttarakhand crisis: Nainital HC allows Speaker’s counsel to argue today in disqualification case
- BJP manipulated EVMs in Gujarat civic polls, says Congress
- Why doesn’t farmers’ suicide trouble you as much as Pratyusha’s, asks Nana Patekar
- 'Find Your Beautiful': Radhika Apte explains real meaning of beauty
- Actor Harshvardhan Rane finds it challenging to romance three heroines in 'Maaya'
- Shah Rukh Khan is really impressed with his 'Raees' co-stars
- Kapil Sharma returns tonight: 5 reasons that make the first episode special