Chennai, Mar 30: Tamil Nadu unit of BJP today demanded the resignation of Chief Minister M Karunanidhi owning responsibility for the alleged transportation of money meant for voters in police vehicles.
“The Election Commission's submission in Madras High Court that even money was being distributed in police jeeps only confirms continuing violations of electoral rules by the ruling party,” a BJP release said here tonight.
“Karunanidhi who is heading the police department should immediately resign owning responsibility for transportation of money in police van,” it said.
Claiming that the fear of defeat had driven Karunanidhi to shift from the city to Tiruvarur, BJP alleged the Chief Minister taking exception to EC's restrictions and party MP Ritheesh's arrest in connection with a clash strengthened apprehensions that fair polls was not possible in the state.
It said unless the Election Commission “opened its both eyes” polls would not be fair under the Karunanidhi regime. PTI
From Our Network
- After photoshop fiasco, TMC in soup as BJP, Left threatens legal action
- If US, Iran can end hostilities, why not India, Pak: Mehbooba Mufti
- Arvind Kejriwal, Mamata Banerjee meet in Delhi ahead of Bihar polls
- Uttarakhand crisis: Nainital HC allows Speaker’s counsel to argue today in disqualification case
- BJP manipulated EVMs in Gujarat civic polls, says Congress
- Why doesn’t farmers’ suicide trouble you as much as Pratyusha’s, asks Nana Patekar
- 'Find Your Beautiful': Radhika Apte explains real meaning of beauty
- Actor Harshvardhan Rane finds it challenging to romance three heroines in 'Maaya'
- Shah Rukh Khan is really impressed with his 'Raees' co-stars
- Kapil Sharma returns tonight: 5 reasons that make the first episode special