Addressing her first election rally in Uttar Pradesh, Priyanka Gandhi today launched a scathing attack on Prime Minister Narendra Modi for saying that UP adopted him as a son and that he will work for the development of the state.
"Modi said that UP has adopted him as a son and that he’ll work for its development. Does UP need to adopt anyone from outside for its development? UP doesn't need an 'adopted son' to do good for the state. Rahul Gandhi (Congress Vice-President) and (Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister) Akhilesh ji (Yadav) are two sons of UP," Priyanka Gandhi said while addressing a rally in Maharajganj Assembly constituency falling under Raebareli parliamentary constituency.
She reminded PM Modi that every youth of the state was qualified to become a leader and work for its development.
"Every youth of the state can become a leader and work for its development. Vote for the one who wants to work for you, not the one who makes false promises," Priyanka added.
Priyanka Gandhi also criticised PM Modi for his ‘demonetisation’ move and accused him of making women stand in queues.
“PM Modi says he is against women persecution, but still makes women stand in queues,” Priyanka said.
Priyanka also urged the people of Uttar Pradesh to know who all are actually interested in working for them.
“You should know those who can work for you,” Priyanka said.
Highlights of Priyanka Gandhi's speech:
Earlier, Priyanka along with her younger brother and party’s vice-president Rahul Gandhi launched poll campaign in the family pocket borough of Rae Bareli – the Lok Sabha constituency of Sonia Gandhi.
HIghlights of Rahul Gandhi's speech:
* He scrabbed food park project here to take revenge from Rae Bareli people. He snatched job from you: Rahul
* Modiji seems very tired. He should stay in Delhi. We can govern UP. In 2019, we'll ask him to leave Delhi as well, so he can relax: Rahul
* Small traders and farmers' badly hit by note ban, says Rahul Gandhi
* He (Modi) has not fulfilled his promises made in Varanasi - Bhojpuri film city, clean Ganga: Rahul Gandhi
* PM Modi remembers farmers' only during polls, says Rahul Gandhi
Modi ji seems very tired. He should stay in Delhi. We can govern UP. In 2019, we'll ask him to leave Delhi as well, so he can relax. pic.twitter.com/9UdIJ1w1YQ— INC India (@INCIndia) February 17, 2017
* Rahul Gandhi uses Bollywood movies as a reference for Modi government, says ‘instead of Shah Rukh Khan from 'Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge', people get ‘Gabbar Singh’ from Sholay’
* Two crore farmers have asked Modi ji to waive their loans, but there was no response from Modi. He didn’t speak about loans, about farmers: Rahul
* Modi can waive off loans in 15 minutes but no one does it. Modi had promised special packages to Bihar as well, but what happened?: Rahul
* BJP has promised they’ll waive off farmers’ loans if it forms government in UP. The UPA had waived Rs 70,000 crore of farmers’ loans when it was in Centre, not UP: Rahul
* A few months back, on the Congress’ Kisan Yatra, farmers told us about the difficulties they face. Farmers only have three demands -- loan waivers, cut in electricity bill and the right price for selling our produce: Rahul
According to party leaders, Rahul will address two rallies in Rae Bareli town and Maharajganj in support of party candidate Aditi Singh. They said that Priyanka will accompany Rahul to these rallies. However, it was not clear whether she will address the rallies.
Priyanka was one of the main negotiators with Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav when the alliance talks were on the brink of collapse. The absence of Priyanka, who is a great crowd puller and is among the 40 'star campaigners' the party has listed for the polls, had reportedly upset the cadres, especially in the family bastion of Amethi-Rae Bareli, where she has been campaigning in previous elections.
While her name has been repeatedly appearing in the star campaigner list of the party, she is once again likely to restrict herself to Amethi-Rae Bareli only.
Sonia has stayed away from poll campaign so far. But reports suggest that she might address rallies in the constituency on February 18.
Assembly constituencies under Amethi and Rae Bareli go to polls in the 4th and 5th phase of polling in the state on February 23 and 27, respectively.
Alliance partners Congress and Samajwadi Party are fighting with each other on several Assembly seats where both parties have fielded their candidates.
Reports said that there are at least 23 constituencies, including two in Rae Bareli and two in Amethi, where the Congress and the SP are fighting a ‘friendly match’.
Congress has fielded Aditi Singh, the daughter of five time MLA Akhilesh Kumar Singh, from the Rae Bareli Assembly constituency. Akhilesh Singh, a local strongman, has passed on the baton to his 29-year-old daughter Aditi, who is pitted against BSP candidate Shahbaz Khan and BJP's Anita Srivastava.
In Unchahar in Rae Bareli district, Congress has fielded Ajaypal Singh and SP Manoj Kumar Pandey, besides in Sareni where Ashok Singh (Congress) is fighting a ‘friendly match’ with Devendra Pratap Singh of SP. Both seats fall under Sonia's Lok Sabha constituency.
The Congress is be contesting in a total of 105 seats in UP, with its ally Samajwadi Party contesting from 298 out of a total of 403 seats.