New Delhi: On September 11, 2001, the world looked on in horror as terrorists flew hijacked passenger planes into New York City's mighty twin towers, destroying the iconic buildings and killing thousands of people.
It has been one of the biggest events in recent history that sparked a mass awakening across the world.
Here are some interesting facts to know about this terror attack:
* 9/11 was not the first terrorist attack on the World Trade Center. A bombing in February of 1993 killed six people.
* The rescue and recovery clean-up of the 1.8 million tons of wreckage from the World Trade Center site took 9 months.
* Passengers aboard United Flight 93, which had been delayed, heard about the previous airplane attacks in New York City and at the Pentagon attacks and attempted to retake control of the plane from hijackers. As a result, the hijackers dilberately crashed the plane in a Pennsylvania field instead of at their unknown target.
* While video accounts of the WTC attack aired immediately, no video footage of the Pentagon attack was publicly released until 2006.
* 18 people were rescued alive from the rubble of the World Trade Center site
* At least 7 of the 19 listed highjackers are still alive
* The 911 commission was given extremely limited funds. $15 million was given to investigate 9/11 attack.
* On September 10th, 2001. Rumsfeld reported $2.3 TRILLION missing from the Pentagon.
* 100′s of firefighters and witness testimony to MOLTEN METAL ignored by the Commission report.
* Nano Thermite was found in the dust at Ground Zero.