Colombo, July 26: The Sri Lankan police said on Tuesday that they are on the hunt for more than 20 local television actresses who are believed to be part of a prostitution ring.
Over the past few weeks, police have arrested four actresses who were involved in prostitution at various locations in Colombo and areas most frequented by tourists, Xinhua reported.
Police said the arrest of popular local actresses involved in prostitution had blown the lid on what is believed to be a major prostitution ring.
The Sri Lankan police have now sought public assistance to locate the whereabouts of 20 actresses who have gone into hiding.
Apart from local prostitutes, Sri Lanka is also known to have foreign sex workers working in clubs which mainly cater to tourists.
A recent US State Department report said Sri Lankan women and children are subjected to sex trafficking in brothels in the country, especially in the Anuradhapura area in north central Sri Lanka.
In 2009, Sri Lanka's National Child Protection Authority estimated that approximately 1,000 children were subjected to commercial sexual exploitation within the country although some agencies believed the actual number was between 10,000 and 15,000. IANS
From Our Network
- Jasprit Bumrah vaults to career best No 2 spot in ICC T20I rankings
- Black money: Govt unearths Rs 13,000 crore hidden in foreign bank accounts
- Was advised to retire after Beijing Olympics: Sushil Kumar
- Kareena Kapoor Khan has some serious relationship advice for Alia Bhatt
- India joins MTCR, first entry into any multilateral export control regime