Obama notified Congress that he plans to remove Russia from the Generalized System of Preferences program, which gave Moscow a $544 million break on import taxes in 2012 on products ranging from metals and minerals to tires and ceramic wares.
The program, which allowed $19.9 billion in imports to enter the U.S. duty-free in 2012, is designed to help developing countries boost their economy through trade.
The program expired in July 2013, but the Obama administration supports legislation under consideration in Congress to extend it.
From Our Network
- History of dance bars in Mumbai, 10 unknown facts
- Juvenile Justice act: No handcuffs, no jail for minors, corporal punishment to be treated as crime
- Arijit Singh speaks up on his tiff with Salman Khan, reveals what exactly happened
- After a public apology, Arijit Singh is planning to visit Salman Khan’s house!
- Kishore Kumar birthday special: His rare pics and few unknown facts