Nay Pyi Taw: Myanmar's opposition party National League for Democracy (NLD), led by Aung San Suu Kyi, has won 880 parliamentary seats (77.3 percent) out of a total of 1,139 in the elections, Union Election Commission said on Monday.
The NLD has secured 389 seats as absolute majority in the House of Representatives (Lower House) and the House of Nationalities (Upper House), strong enough to form a new independent government, Xinhua reported.
The ruling Union Solidarity and Development Party gained 115 seats, accounting for 10 percent of the total.
The remaining parliamentary seats go to ethnic parties and five independent runners.
The election commission has so far announced a total of 1,139 elected representatives.
The representatives elected represent 75 percent of those at each level of parliament and, under the constitution, the remaining 25 percent were not elected and instead reserved for those who will be nominated directly by the military.
The first session of the new parliament will take place in January 2016, the presidential run in the parliament in February and the formation of the new government in March.
The term of the current government will expire at the end of March 2016.