September 2, 2014
0
Email

Lone exit was blocked as 233 people choked to death inside Brazilian nightclub

AP [ Updated 28 Jan 2013, 15:16:32 ]
Lone exit was blocked as 233 people choked to death inside Brazilian nightclub
FONT SIZE

Santa Maria (Brazil), Jan 28: A fast-moving fire roared through a crowded, windowless nightclub in southern Brazil early Sunday, filling the air in seconds with flames and a thick, toxic smoke that killed more than 230 panicked partygoers, many of whom were caught in a stampede to escape.



Inspectors believe the blaze began when a band's small pyrotechnics show ignited foam sound insulating material on the ceiling, releasing a putrid haze that caused scores of university students to choke to death.  

Most victims died from smoke inhalation rather than burns in what appeared to be the world's deadliest nightclub fire in more than a decade.

Survivors and the police inspector Marcelo Arigony said security guards briefly tried to block people from exiting the club. Brazilian bars routinely make patrons pay their entire tab at the end of the night before they are allowed to leave.




India Tv Mobile Wesbite
TODAY'S BEST VIDEO
Aaj Ki baat with Rajat Sharma September 1, 2014: ..

 Aaj Ki baat with Rajat Sharma September 1, 2014:...

100-day report card: Modi govt achievements in Sp..

100-day report card: Modi govt achievements in Special...

INDIAtv Poll
ALSO READ
X
UN Security Council urges for immediate ceasefire in Libya
United Nations: The UN Security Council on Wednesday adopted a resolution on...
Read More >>