The Defense Agency said four Japanese F-15 jets headed to the area Thursday morning, but no further action was taken.
The islands known as Senkaku in Japanese and Diaoyu in Chinese have been at the center of a territorial dispute. The purchase of the islands by the Japanese government earlier this year from private Japanese owners set off massive anti-Japanese rallies in China.
Japanese ships have been patrolling the area on the lookout for approaching Chinese ships.
Chinese ships have darted in and out the waters in that area in recent months. Violations by Chinese planes of air space are more unusual.
From Our Network
- Meet Angoorlata Deka, the actress-turned-MLA from Assam
- In India, alcohol kills a person every 96 minutes
- Second 'ad-wrapped' Metro train ready to hit tracks in Delhi
- Aha Love! Ash just did Q&A on Twitter and hubby Abhishek had a really important query
- Not Anushka Sharma but this Bollywood actress was Virat Kohli’s first love interest!