New Delhi, Nov 6:With the United States voting for its president and vice-president, let's have a quick look inside the one of the world's famous landmarks - The White House.
The first president, George Washington, selected the site for the White House in 1791. The cornerstone was laid in 1792 and a competition design submitted by Irish-born architect James Hoban was chosen.
After eight years of construction, President John Adams and his wife, Abigail, moved into the unfinished house in 1800.
During the War of 1812, the British set fire to the President's House in 1814. James Hoban was appointed to rebuild the house, and President James Monroe moved into the building in 1817.
During Monroe's administration, the South Portico was constructed in 1824, and Andrew Jackson oversaw the addition of the North Portico in 1829.
During the late 19th century, various proposals were made to significantly expand the President's House or to build an entirely new house for the president, but these plans were never realized.
The building was originally referred to as the "Presidential Palace" or "Presidential Mansion." Dolley Madison called it the "President's Castle."
However, by 1811 the first evidence of the public calling it the "White House" emerged, because of its white-painted stone exterior.
The name Executive Mansion was often used in official context until President Theodore Roosevelt established the formal name by having "The White House" engraved on his stationery in 1901.
In 1902, President Theodore Roosevelt began a major renovation of the White House, including the relocation of the president's offices from the Second Floor of the Residence to the newly constructed temporary Executive Office Building (now known as the West Wing).
The Roosevelt renovation was planned and carried out by the famous New York architectural firm McKim, Mead and White. Roosevelt's successor, President William Howard Taft, had the Oval Office constructed within an enlarged office wing.
Less than fifty years after the Roosevelt renovation, the White House was showing signs of serious structural weakness. President Harry S. Truman began a renovation of the building in which everything but the outer walls were dismantled.
The reconstruction was overseen by architect Lorenzo Winslow, and the Truman family moved back into the White House in 1952.
Every president since John Adams has occupied the White House, and the history of this building extends far beyond the construction of its walls.
From the Ground Floor Corridor rooms, transformed from their early use as service areas, to the State Floor rooms, where countless leaders and dignitaries have been entertained, the White House is both the home of the President of the United States his family and a museum of American history.