Indonesian seismologist Fauzi says there is no risk of a tsunami.
The U.S. agency says Wednesday's quake was centred 56 km under the sea.
Indonesia's Meteorology and Geophysics Agency initially reported a quake measuring a preliminary 6.3 magnitude that was centred 157 km northwest of Tual in the southeastern part of Maluku province.
It said the epicentre was 12 km deep.
From Our Network
- 'Junooniyat' is entirely different from 'Sanam Re', says Yami Gautam
- Bipasha Basu speaks up on being Karan Singh Grover’s ‘third wife’ and his past
- Huge solar storms helped foster life on Earth, says NASA
- 10 Times Rakhi Sawant Blew Our Mind With Her Epic Statements
- 2nd anniversary celebrations: Govt ropes in Amitabh Bachchan to host five-hour event at India Gate on May 28