Indonesian seismologist Fauzi says there is no risk of a tsunami.
The U.S. agency says Wednesday's quake was centred 56 km under the sea.
Indonesia's Meteorology and Geophysics Agency initially reported a quake measuring a preliminary 6.3 magnitude that was centred 157 km northwest of Tual in the southeastern part of Maluku province.
It said the epicentre was 12 km deep.
From Our Network
- Know about Ranjit Katyal “ The man who saved 1.7 Lakh Indian in Kuwait
- Chart prepared! Don't worry, you can still book train tickets
- ISIS executes 250 women for refusing to be sex slaves: Report
- Haryana government rechristens Gurgaon as Gurugram, Mewat as Nuh
- Kashmir firing: Death toll mounts to 3, curfew imposed in Handwara town
- Why doesn’t farmers’ suicide trouble you as much as Pratyusha’s, asks Nana Patekar
- 'Find Your Beautiful': Radhika Apte explains real meaning of beauty
- Actor Harshvardhan Rane finds it challenging to romance three heroines in 'Maaya'
- Shah Rukh Khan is really impressed with his 'Raees' co-stars
- Kapil Sharma returns tonight: 5 reasons that make the first episode special