Officials said the casualties in the accident in Kaohsiung City could go up as the explosions caused a road surface to collapse and people might have fallen into big holes.
The island's fire-fighting authority said gas leaks were reported in the city's Cianjhen district at 9 pm on Thursday, leading to multiple explosions that affected an area as large as three sq.km.
Jiang Yi-huah, the island's executive chief, is coordinating the rescue operations at an emergency response centre that was put into operation early on Friday.
Kaohsiung Mayor Chen Chu said the incident was the worst of its kind in the recent decade.
The island's military force has deployed more than 300 soldiers to carry the rescue work.
From Our Network
- Know about Ranjit Katyal “ The man who saved 1.7 Lakh Indian in Kuwait
- Chart prepared! Don't worry, you can still book train tickets
- ISIS executes 250 women for refusing to be sex slaves: Report
- Haryana government rechristens Gurgaon as Gurugram, Mewat as Nuh
- Now job reservations in private sector also ?
- Why doesn’t farmers’ suicide trouble you as much as Pratyusha’s, asks Nana Patekar
- 'Find Your Beautiful': Radhika Apte explains real meaning of beauty
- Actor Harshvardhan Rane finds it challenging to romance three heroines in 'Maaya'
- Shah Rukh Khan is really impressed with his 'Raees' co-stars
- Kapil Sharma returns tonight: 5 reasons that make the first episode special