Haj is a demonstration of solidarity of the Muslim people, and their submission to Allah (God).
The pilgrimage occurs from the 8th day to the 12th day of Dhu al-Hijjah, the 12th and last month of the Islamic calendar. Because the Islamic calendar is a lunar calendar, eleven days shorter than the Gregorian calendar used in the Western world, the Gregorian date of the Haj changes from year to year.
Ihram is the name given to the special spiritual state in which Muslims live while on pilgrimage.
From Our Network
- IIFA awards: Fawad Khan goes down on his knees for Deepika Padukone
- Start negotiations to ‘leave’ as soon as possible, EU chiefs tell Britain
- Down but not defeated: Kapil Sharma’s show scores high in TRP report card
- I did not raise Nehru-Gandhi family issue to get favours, Rishi Kapoor tells Aap Ki Adalat
- ‘#FailedModiDiplomacy’: Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at PM Modi over NSG membership bid