Haj is a demonstration of solidarity of the Muslim people, and their submission to Allah (God).
The pilgrimage occurs from the 8th day to the 12th day of Dhu al-Hijjah, the 12th and last month of the Islamic calendar. Because the Islamic calendar is a lunar calendar, eleven days shorter than the Gregorian calendar used in the Western world, the Gregorian date of the Haj changes from year to year.
Ihram is the name given to the special spiritual state in which Muslims live while on pilgrimage.
From Our Network
- Watch: Here’s the incident when Arijit Singh miffed Salman Khan
- Two-third people happy with Modi government's performance in two years
- Switzerland: Muslim students must shake hands with female teachers or face fine
- Had 10 seconds to make the final call: Pilot of air ambulance which crash-landed in Delhi
- Aamir- Kajol’s 'Fanaa' clocks 10 years, director Kunal Kohli gets nostalgic