The militants attacked the Bacha Khan Airport in Peshawar around 8.30 p.m.
According to local media reports, five rockets were fired by the militants at the airport and two of them hit the runaway.
Five attackers were among the dead and over 40 others were injured, Xinhua reported.
All international and domestic flights were cancelled following the attack.
The attack was in response to a recent military operation in the area, the army said.
The airport authorities said all their assets were safe.
President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf condemned the attack.
From Our Network
- London likely to get first Muslim mayor, opponent plays Modi card
- Know about Ranjit Katyal “ The man who saved 1.7 Lakh Indian in Kuwait
- JeM plan to launch Pathankot-like strike in NCR foiled
- Punjab: All women above 40 will be examined for breast cancer
- 12-year-old Kota boy qualifies for International Biology Olympiad
- AgustaWestland scam: How did Swamy get 'sensitive' documents, asks Congress
- IPL: 8 hottest female anchors
- See Pics: AbRam playing with father Shah Rukh amidst match is too cute to handle
- Donald Trump takes the reins of divided Republican Party
- KRK has something to say about Karan Singh Grover’s third marriage with Bipasha Basu