This was the first chartered aircraft to operate from Dehradun carrying stranded tourists and pilgrims, aviation sources said here.
A Boeing 737-700, belonging to Jet Airways and operated by aircharter firm Subha Aviation, was chartered by the Gujarat government at the instance of Chief Minister Narendra Modi, they said.
The aircraft took off from Jolly Grant airport at 0830 hours and reached Ahmedabad almost two hours later, the sources said.
Some other states like Bihar and Rajasthan, from where people are still stranded in the affected region, were also contemplating chartering airplanes to evacuate them expeditiously.
From Our Network
- NSG standoff: Clouds of mistrust hovering over India-China relations
- Rahul Gandhi is in London with a ‘special friend’: Subramanian Swamy
- Bihar board topper Ruby Rai arrested after appearing for re-test
- Beijing sinking by up to 11cm annually, warns a satellite study
- Kejriwal has no IIT rank, he got in through 'other' methods: Subramanian Swamy