He succeeded Satguru Jagjit Singh who died Thursday at the age of 92 in a private hospital here.
Uday Singh was declared as officiating administrator of the Namdhari sect by Mata Chand Kaur, widow of Jagjit Singh, last Friday.
Earlier, a stiff opposition to Uday Singh's nomination as successor to Jagjit Singh brewed up in the Namdhari sect.
Various Namdhari leaders from Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Chandigarh met here in this regard.
Addressing mediapersons, Jaswinder Singh, chairman of the International Namdhari Sangat, declared they would not accept anyone other than Thakur Dalip Singh, brother of Uday, as head of the Namdhari sect.
He alleged Uday Singh was announced officiating head of the sect by Jagjit Singh under pressure.
Both Dalip Singh and Uday Singh are nephews of late Jagjit Singh.
From Our Network
- Know about Ranjit Katyal “ The man who saved 1.7 Lakh Indian in Kuwait
- Chart prepared! Don't worry, you can still book train tickets
- ISIS executes 250 women for refusing to be sex slaves: Report
- Haryana government rechristens Gurgaon as Gurugram, Mewat as Nuh
- Kashmir firing: Death toll mounts to 3, curfew imposed in Handwara town
- Why doesn’t farmers’ suicide trouble you as much as Pratyusha’s, asks Nana Patekar
- 'Find Your Beautiful': Radhika Apte explains real meaning of beauty
- Actor Harshvardhan Rane finds it challenging to romance three heroines in 'Maaya'
- Shah Rukh Khan is really impressed with his 'Raees' co-stars
- Kapil Sharma returns tonight: 5 reasons that make the first episode special