Sinha, a 1974 batch officer of Bihar cadre, is presently Director General of Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) force.
Official sources said the Appointments Committee of Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has approved Sinha's name from a panel of three IPS officers shortlisted for choosing the next head of the country's premier investigating agency.
However, an official order on his appointment was still awaited, they said.
CBI's present Director A P Singh's tenure ends on November 30.
Apparently peeved over non-inclusion of his name among the shortlisted officers, Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar has moved the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT).
Kumar, a 1976 batch IPS officer, has approached the Tribunal questioning the procedure for picking the three officers and excluding his name for the top post of CBI.
A Central Vigilance Commissioner-headed selection committee shortlisted three senior IPS officials including Sinha; Director General of National Investigation Agency S C Sinha (Haryana:1975); and former UP D G Atul (UP:1976).
As per the norms, a six-member committee led by Central Vigilance Commissioner selects three officers for the post of CBI Director. The committee includes Home Secretary, Personnel Secretary, incumbent CBI Director and two Vigilance Commissioners.
The selected officer gets a fixed tenure of two years as the CBI Director.
From Our Network
- London likely to get first Muslim mayor, opponent plays Modi card
- Exclusive pic of Asaram Bapu ashram in Jodhpur, where girl alleges she was raped
- JeM plan to launch Pathankot-like strike in NCR foiled
- Punjab: All women above 40 will be examined for breast cancer
- 12-year-old Kota boy qualifies for International Biology Olympiad
- Amitabh Bachchan reacts over Amar Singh’s apology statement about Jaya Bachchan
- Raees Vs Kabil: Rakesh Roshan REACTS to Hrithik-SRK’s box-office clash!
- Shahid Kapoor’s ‘Udta Punjab’ has already defeated Salman Khan’s PRDP in this department
- IPL: 8 hottest female anchors
- Laughing Buddha: Which one to use and where to place?