He was hanged to death at 8 a.m. outside his cell in Delhi's Tihar Jail and buried quietly soon after for his role in plotting the audacious Dec 13, 2001 attack in which 10 people were killed when five armed terrorists stormed into the parliament complex when 100 MPs were inside.
Afzal Guru's end came just six days after President Pranab Mukherjee rejected his mercy petition on Feb 3.
The man from Doabgah (Seer) village near Kashmir Valley's Sopore town had known since Friday evening that he was to be hanged. He was woken up at 5 Saturday and he offered his prayers before calmly approaching the noose, officials in Tihar Jail said recounting his last hours.
From Our Network
- Delhi to get 1,000 Wi-Fi hotspot spots by year end
- Down but not defeated: Kapil Sharma’s show scores high in TRP report card
- Did UK’s old outdo their young? Survey claims those who will live longest with decision never wanted to leave
- RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat to share stage with Oscar-winning actor Leonardo DiCaprio in UK: Reports
- Watch: When Anil Kumble put country before self and bowled with a broken jaw